Nuffie

Saturday 31 January 2015

Learning English Language : Punctuation

Assalamualaikum WBT,

How do you do my absolute readers? I know, I hadn't update any entry here for these past days, I am so sorry. Too busy with life and making money, overness indeed.

What is punctuation?

Punctuation is the simple but yet the most important rule in constructing sentences. *Is that the real meaning. Well, honestly, I do not know, haha... I created that definition just now just to make sure that I understand the meaning of punctuation.

Capital letter ( Abu)
Full stop ( . )
Question mark ( ? )
Exclamation mark ( ! )
Comma ( , )
Quotation marks ('   ')
Apostrophe ('s)

To be honest, we are very much familiar with these punctuation right? We already know the punctuation. We even used it in our daily writing.

Now, I will write more on examples that you need to know, just to make it clearer for you.

1. Capital Letters

a. The first letter in a sentence.

He laughed out loud.
She is not here. Maybe she'll come later.

b. The first letter of proper nouns (e.g. names of people, countries, towns, etc.)

Ali lives in Kuala Lumpur.
Laila love to eat Black Forest cake.

c. The first letter used after quotation marks.

Amy said, 'Don't be scared'.
Siew Ling said, 'Please wait for me'.

2. Full Stops

Full stops are used :

a. At the end of a statement.

I need drinks.
I want to eat.

b. At the end of a abbreviations (short forms).

etc. = et cetera
eg. = example
i.e. = that is

c. A few works in Modern English do not have a full stop.

PWTC
KLCC
KL
PUNB

3. Question Marks

Question marks are used at the end of a question.

Where is my food?
What are you doing here?

4. Exclamation Marks

The exclamation mark is used in exclamations which express surprise, shock, anger, fear, disappointment, joy,excitement, disbelief, etc.

I don't believe it!
What?!
Congratulations!
Oh, no!

5. Commas

The comma is used for three main reasons.

a. To separate a series of words in a list.

We need sugar, salt, tea and flour.

b. To show a pause in reading.

After closing his shop, Ah Seng went home.

c. To separate direct speech from the rest of the sentence.

'I want to go home,' Rohina said.

6. Quotation Marks

Quotation marks are put before the first word and after the last word in direct speech.

'Seng Fatt, bring in the clothes,' mother shouted.

7. Apostrophes

Apostrophes are used :

a. In contractions (short forms) to replace the missing words.

I am = I'm
We will = we will
should not = shouldn't

b. With possessive nouns to show ownership. The apostrophes is placed before the 's' ('s) for singular nouns and after the 's' (s') for plural nouns.

This is Mila's hat.
The girls' parents gave them their permission to go to Taman Negara.

So, that is all for now, hope the information will help you in writing because sometimes, we missed out the put such small things. As I said before, small but most important. We cannot end our sentence without a full stop, right?

Assalamualaikum WBT

p/s: Hope you read my writings and learn something.

No comments:

Post a Comment