Nuffie

Saturday 10 January 2015

Learning English Grammar : Relative Pronouns.

Assalamualaikum WBT,

Do you believe in this sentence?

"The more we read, the more we don't know".

I believe in that actually. The reason why, it is almost like, when we know something that we did not know, we actually will tend to read more and of course, the more we read, the more we don't know, right? Yes. It is right.

The reason why I wrote this is because, I read a English grammar book last night and I came across many interesting fact that I did not know. I used all those sentence structures correctly but I did not know what tenses or form they belong. I was like,

"ah... I know now.. it is this and this is that and that is that". And whatnot.

Seriously, when you read something that really catches your attention just because you think you know it, but actually you are learning a new thing, its okay then. You actually learned something, that is very good for yourself.

Now, I am going to write a bit on English grammar on this entry, just to refresh our memories, okay?

Relative Pronouns. 

What is relative pronouns? 

Relative Pronouns is used to begin an adjective clause. It refers to the noun directly in front of it.

One amazing famous example of relative pronouns is used in the first book of Harry Potter by amazing author, J. K. Rowling. In the first chapter of Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone, The Boy Who Lived.  

As you can see that, she used relative pronouns to make another clause. Even though it is not as long as in the example given in certain book, do you think that it is a perfect sentence? meaning a full sentence? Well, I do not know, you may guess it by now right? Let us divide and name all the word.

The - Determiner
Boy - Subject
Who - Relative pronouns
Lived - Adjective

And why is Lived is an adjective? It is because, Who Lived explains about the state of the boy. The Boy Who Lived. Of course you understood the meaning of this right?

Now, I want to give you another example that might simplify things up. 

The man who killed the snake is Mary's uncle.

You can also write this down and put is tree diagram. It is better that way actually. You can see it clearly. Later on, I will try to come out with the tree diagram and it is actually very fun to learn using tree diagram.

Well, that is all for today, thank you, hope you'll learn something.

Assalamualaikum WBT

p/s; learning through website is not that hard, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment