Nuffie

Wednesday 21 May 2014

Learning English Grammar : 'If' Conditional Sentence and its types.

Assalamualaikum WBT,

I feel like I have abandoned this blog for quite sometimes. Haish. I am so sorry blog, not posting any entry made me sick too, why? I lost the momentum already. There were times I was so darn excited in writing blog, like almost 2 entries per day, but now. Don't ask. Yes.

Okay, now, last week, we were on Whatsapp but then I did not able to reply because I did not have internet connection to active the Whatsapp and my friends were discussing about Conditional Tenses (English). Darlings, after a few websites and light reading, conditional tenses is actually quite tricky. Why? Well, there are five (5) conditions that we need to know in Conditional Tenses. What the the conditions?

 See the example above and also the explanation. As for the 'zero' conditional, it has this element that it will happen it this happened. So, the result is always right. See the example give. "If you heat ice, it melts". What does it mean? It means, when ice is heated, it will melt. why? Its science. Got it right?

 Then the Type 1 Conditional, okay, for this one, its a little bit tricky. Well, at least, to me, I do not know about you, I am not perfect darlings. hahaha.. well, no matter what, I will try to explain about it. As mentioned in the picture, its about the tense (time) both present and future and the situation is REAL but its too about the possibilities might be given by the other subject. Let say, 'If you make a mistake, someone will let you know". This is the example, as you can see there, the clause is 'if you make a mistake' and the main clause is 'someone will let you know'. What does it mean? It means, if you make mistake *in any possible ways people could think of, someone will let you know your mistake. That the possibility. And bear in mind that the situation is real.

 Well, for the Type 2 Conditional is more like the type 1 but honestly, its different. Trust me. It is also based on time but the situation is UNREAL. Why? Why Unreal? Let see the example above. 'If it rained, you would get wet'. Well, that the clause and the main clause, but since we are discussing about conditional tense, the use 'if' is important. In this Type 2 conditional, it is not based on fact. It more to the hypothetical condition with the probable result. Let say if it rained and I would get wet. Would I? there two things that we could ask back, 1, its not going to be rained, 2, i have my umbrella. So, would I get well. This is where the 'what is' questions would easily slipped from our own mouth when we want to have argument. Yes. But in terms of grammar, that is the clause and the main clause. It is just based on the hypothetical conditions where we do not even know what might happen. will it rain today? Right? now you know.

 Now, the Type 3 Conditional, it is used in past perfect and the main clause is the perfect conditional. This one is very darn tricky. Hahaha.. i had to read a few times to understand it. Well, the nature of this Type 3 Conditional is UNREAL. The time is obviously, past. Let see this other example, 
"If you had warned me, I would not have told your father about that party."(But you didn't, and I have). This is usually comes with hatred. Hahaha... you want to tell the thing but then you choose to tell someone about it but then you denied it. Eff you! hahahaha.. Ask yourself, you might have done this before. Well, somehow it connected. Let see another example, refer the picture above, 'If you have worked harder, you would have passed the exam'. Would you? Even if you worked harder, would you passed the exam? Somehow, this Type 3 conditional sentences are more likely to get away from the situation. Awkward situation. Yes. And try to pamper people. This Type 3 conditional sentences. Bear in mind, contrary to reality, unreal, opposite. Obviously, two faces would love this type. hahaha...

Well, this one is mixed between two types. Type 2 and Type 3. But the result is in the present and in the past is unreal and the reality is what you already passed. Well, complicated?  A bit, yes. Let see the example given. "If I had worked harder at school, I would have a better job now". Can you see that? Its quite easy, now we look the words one by one. The if' clause is past perfect and the main clause is present conditional, we look at the past perfect first, 'If I had worked harder at school...' Well, since it is past perfect, we know he was not a good grader at school, right? And the second one, "...I would have a better job now'. Another negative meaning implied, well, obviously, we know that he have good job but he might me tired of his job. Who knows right? So, there you go. Understood already eyh? hehe...

No doubt its quite complicated. But we need to read it. I have this a little bit easy-to-understand sheet. 

'If' is often used in a Conditional Clause. We use the Simple Present tense in Conditional Clauses to show that things are likely to happen. The other clauses are the Simple Future Tense.

There is another Conditional Clause. The use of Simple Past tense in Conditional Clauses to show that things unlikely to happen. The other clauses are used in the Present Conditional tense (would or should + an infinitive).

Sooo? how? okay? hahaha... *broken English a bit. No matter what, we need to read more, since English language is not our mother tongue. Well, some of us, not me. My mother tongue is Malay. So, speak Malay lah? Gitu? hehehe..

Assalamualaikum WBT

p/s: its not that hard but reading brings joy to myself actually.

Source one
source two
source three
source four

No comments:

Post a Comment