Nuffie

Monday 24 March 2014

Learning English Grammar : Present Continuous Tense.

Assalamualaikum WBT,

I am so sorry for not writing these few days, I have things to do, plus the internet connection is not that good. I just have to bear with it, well, because its free.

Now, for this entry, I will be writing on Present Continuous Tense.

Wow, wow, wait a minute. We did not yet learn on the tenses right? Its okay because tenses are quite easy and it is not that difficult. Okay, lets focus first on this topic. Present Continuous Tense.

See these two sentences :

I am drawing now.
They are talking.

Since we are discussing on Present Tense, you have to bear in mind that, Present Tense is what is happening now. This present time. Okay?

'Am' is a special finite that only given to 'I' and it cannot be used by any other noun.

The Present Continuous Tense is used to show actions that are going on at the time speaking.

These are the indicators to differentiate between Present Continuous Tense with others. In Present Continuous Tense there are several indicators that you need to know, which are, Verb-to-be in present tense which are 'am', 'is' and 'are', the verb used and also after verb-to-be it has in form of continuous which it has -ing.

Is that clear? A little twisted right? hahaha..

Exercise:

1. What ......... you looking at? (is, are)
2. The sun ........ shining brightly. ( are, is)
3. I ....... writing to my pen-pal now. ( is, am)
4. My little brother .........(not sleep) now.
5. Let's chase him. He ..... (run) away.
6. The phone ........ (ring) now. Go and answer it.
7. We .......... (wait) for Mei Ling.
8. Listen! The dogs ......... (bark) now.
9. It .......... (rain) very heavily now. Let's run for shelter.

Do this exercise and you will familiar with the sentence structure and in the end you will able to create your own sentences. Trust me.

Assalamualaikum WBT

p/s. Keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment